Thursday, August 12, 2010

Who's that snazzy American walking down the Prospekt?

This week's blog post is brought to you by the phrase:
хорошая одежда (ha-ROH-shy-uh ah-DYEH-zhda), meaning "good clothes."

Time, she's a-flyin'. I have less than two weeks left on this continent and I'm still in a state of denial. I've never gone abroad before, so the concept of being in a country where most people don't speak my native tongue is still mysterious to me. Also, I've been wanting to study in Russia since I was a junior in high school...that was four years ago. I can't believe that my wait is about to be over.

On a slightly sentimental note, most of my friends are already talking about going back to Nashville and seeing each other. The BCM leadership team (my Christian organization) is about to have its summer retreat, where they will set goals and mission statements...without me. My sorority sisters are discussing fall rush and our new pledges. It's strange that I won't be going back with them and participating in their activities. Not that I'm complaining about going to Russia - because I most certainly will have many amazing experiences and I don't regret my going an iota - but I feel odd, as if the world is a bit topsy. This must be a little of what it's like to graduate from college and know that your friends in grades below you are going on with college life as if it's normal - without you. BUT! I get to go back in January and prove to everyone that I haven't become a Russian spy. It may take some convincing...you see, my family and the KGB, we go way back. *wink*

Anyway, like I said, I am still very excited to be heading off to the Motherland. There are still plenty of little things I need to take care of before I depart, but everything is coming along at a reasonable pace. This week has been dedicated to the scouting and purchasing of inexpensive, functional and desirable apparel suitable for the Russian climate and culture. I am now the proud owner of dressy black pumps, grey ankle boots, a skirt ensemble and a wintry dress, courtesy of the parental units. I was in the market for some dressier clothing because (and knowing the awful stereotypes of Soviet women...you know, the burly she-men named Olga...this may surprise some of you) Russians dress up much more than do Americans. Women are expected to look feminine and all dolled up, especially when they go to class. Wearing jeans and a hoodie to a lecture just doesn't happen, let alone sweats or pajamas as many American students do. (Why anyone goes to class in pajamas is beyond me. I mean, if you are awake enough to walk from your dorm to your classroom, then kindly put on some pants and a clean shirt. Have you no pride in your appearance, or respect for your prof/fellow students? But that's entirely off-topic.)

I, being a more casual dresser, found it necessary to obtain snazzier clothing so that when I arrive in Petersburg the locals won't stare at me and decry the slovenly nature of Americans. Thus, I have dug out every skirt, dress and snappy-cazh shirt I own (yes, folks, that's short for snappy-casual...spelling it "snappy-cas" looked stupid). Contrary to what many people think about me, I actually like dressing up and wearing skirts, so long as they aren't overly girly. Very little about me says girly-girl. I can handle sophisticated, though. The tomboy in me doesn't mind.

The one thing I have yet to embrace is the carrying of the purse device. Frankly, I hate purses. They're cumbersome, they're heavy and the more space they have, the more junk I want to dump inside of them. Also, they're so darn girly! Instead, I carry a Vera Bradley wrist wallet that holds everything important: my debit card, my cell phone, my contact solution and the occasional dollar bill. Even my Vera Bradley bothers me, sometimes. If I could get away with it, I wouldn't carry anything. Concerning Russia, my misfortune lies in that my passport is too big to put into my wallet, and I fear that a wallet hanging from my wrist just screams "TAKE ME, MR. PICKPOCKET!!" Therefore, I will likely need to suck it up and carry a purse when I am abroad, not only for the aforementioned reasons, but also for storing my camera and scarf/gloves when I go indoors. (Because, you know, it's cold there...as everyone likes to remind me.)

Purse woes aside, I am pretty stoked about my Russia wardrobe. I'm going to be one fashionable lady, if only for a semester. After that, bring on the flip-flops and sorority tees! Or, who knows, maybe four months living with high-maintenance Russians will inspire me to take more than ten minutes on my hair every morning.

Until next time,
Katya, the fashion guru.

P.s. In case y'all were wondering, "prospekt" is the Russian equivalent of "boulevard." One of the most famous prospekts is Nevsky, located in the center of St. Petersburg. Nevsky Prospekt was the location of Tsar Alexander II's assassination, as well as many activities of the 1917 October Revolution, making it incomparably cool.

2 comments:

  1. The fashion show was lovely. We'll have to go purse shopping next week. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey, I don't know if you've seen them before, but I'd get a travel pouch (and in fact, have gotten a travel pouch). It's dorky but you won't get stolen from. It goes under your clothes and I'm gonna put my passport and larger bills in that and then just have smaller bills and unimportant things in a purse. You can't see it under your clothing and it's a hell of a lot better than having to go to the American Embassy to explain that your passport got pick pocketed.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign your name, so I know who is stalking me! :-)