Sunday, October 3, 2010

Death by Flowers

This blog post is brought to you by the phrase "слишком много цветов," (SLEESH-kum muh-NO-ga tsve-TOF), meaning "too many flowers."

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but Russians have a thing for flowers. Actually, that's an understatement of gargantuan proportions. Outside my metro stop alone there are four flower shops and a lady who stands by the exit selling small bouquets. It seems that every ten feet (or 3 meters, to be regionally accurate) there is a flower-selling establishment. And they get serious business! Russian men are expected to give their girlfriends flowers on every date, as I understand it, and they are also expected to provide their female hosts with flowers at a party. Then, of course, you have your standard congratulatory flowers, sympathy flowers, thank you flowers and special event flowers. Russia rakes in a lot of money from selling gas to other countries, but their domestic economy is run on flower sales, I'm sure of it.

This became rather evident a few days ago, when I went to a concert. My host sister was singing backup at this concert and happened to have two free tickets to the show. So my friend and I went, knowing absolutely nothing about the kind of music we were about to subject ourselves to, other than the fact that the musician's name was Афина ("Afina"). Turns out that Афина is the Russian equivalent of Athena (as in Greek goddess of wisdom) and that the Greek reference was more than coincidental. Афина's music was a neat fusion of Greek pop/rock with Russian lyrics. She had Greek dancers on stage with her and even brought out some Gypsy dancers, too! I took some pictures, but I was mostly trying to get pics of my host sister, so I may not even have one of Афина herself. lol

Multiple times during the performance, the emcee's held up signs saying "flowers and gifts" and tons of people in the audience got up to give flowers to Афина. I would guess that 80% of the theater (which was a good size) ended up giving her flowers. Part of it had to do with the fact that it was her birthday, and part of it, my host sister told me later, is that Афина is well-loved and especially kind to her fans. (I asked if it was normal for Russian musicians to receive flowers in the middle of the performance, and my host sister said no.)

I left the concert early, partly because it was getting late, partly because my friend wasn't having as much fun as I was, and mostly because we were sick of dealing with the three blondes in front of us. They spent the entire time talking to one another, putting their heads together and blocking our view of the stage, and standing up in their row. The 7-year-old sitting with them was better behaved. At the end, they started tossing the 7-year-old's doll back and forth very high in the air...playing with her, obviously, but getting in the way of everyone behind them. I was really only mad at them for blocking my view of Lelya and for ruining multiple pictures. They could have blocked Афина all night, for all I cared. Still, their absolute disregard for the people behind them was a bit shocking, and I kind of wanted to whack them on the head and remind them that this was a concert, not a coffee shop, but I didn't. (Actually, I wouldn't have had to deal with them at all, if the people on the end of the row hadn't stolen my seats...but, hey, it's Russia. Can't expect people to respect the sanctity of private space.)

Anyway, after I went home, I decided to stop at one of the flower shops in my metro center and buy some flowers for my host sister. I had to keep two very important rules in my head as I chose, however:

RULE #1: NEVER give someone flowers in multiples of two. Even numbered bouquets are for funerals and deaths. Whenever someone receives even numbers of flowers, they get the heebie-jeebies. Or are insulted. (Usually, if a foreigner gives an even number, they don't take offense...but I didn't want to give my host sister and mother a heart attack.)

RULE #2: Yellow flowers mean intimacy...or are reserved for prostitutes. (Funny story: I was walking home from school when an older guy with a bouquet of yellow flowers came up to me, told me he liked my boots and asked me to help him out. I promptly said "No, sorry," and sped up. He left me alone. lol)

I decided upon two red carnations and a pink carnation, but I didn't like what the bouquet looked like and was about to add another flower when I caught myself at Rule #1. I actually started to say to the florist, "and I'll also have..." but I stopped myself, partly because I remembered the rule and partly because the florist started to look disturbed. Instead, I switched out the pink carnation for a white one and paid for my flowers. I felt pretty good, having gotten something kinda nice for my host sister, but when I woke up in the morning, I noticed she had a gorgeous bouquet of red, white and purple flowers on the table that Афина had given her as a thank-you. Next to that, my carnations looked scrawny and cheap, but she said she liked them and appreciated the note I had written her. I think she was just happy that I liked the performance and actually went to watch her. She's cool.

So if you're ever in Russia and want to give someone a dozen yellow roses...don't.

1 comment:

  1. I guess you'll be expecting an odd display of flowers upon your arrival? ;D

    ReplyDelete

Please sign your name, so I know who is stalking me! :-)