Sunday, September 5, 2010

Top 10 Reasons I Belong in Russia

1. Russians love tea. I love tea. We’re perfect for each other.

2. Russians don’t usually go to the doctor when they are sick and they don’t take pills unless absolutely necessary. Instead, they prefer to try home remedies, diet changes or simply wait to see if the illness passes quickly. I, too, think of medicine and doctors as a last resort.

3. Russians don’t sleep with a top sheet. I hate the top sheet. They understand me in a way Americans can’t.

4. Russians go to sleep late and get up late. Example: businesses in America open at 8 or 9. Their Russian counterparts open around 10. Isn’t it great?

5. Two words: figure skating.

6. Everyone here speaks Russian. Go figure.

7. The school I am studying at (the Smolny Institute of Political Science, at St. Petersburg State University) is essentially a palace. Its monastery was built specifically for a Russian princess, and it was later ground zero for Lenin’s Bolshevik revolutionary activities in 1917. I mean, seriously. How cool is that?

8. There are beautiful old buildings, monuments and cathedrals everywhere. (If such things existed in close proximity to my house in America, I would frequent them.)

9. University students get free tickets to museums like the Hermitage. Free. As in, no moolah.

10. My room in my host mom’s flat is green. The wallpaper is green, the carpet is green, my bedding is green. It’s cosmic.

1 comment:

  1. Your brother must be Russian too. He doesn't like his top sheet either.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign your name, so I know who is stalking me! :-)