Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Extra! Extra! Russia Beats America at Capitalism!

This blog post is brought to you by the phrase хитрые люди, (KHEE-tree-ih LYOU-dee), meaning "sly people."

Once upon a time, I decided that one of my goals before I left the Motherland was to figure skate in a Petersburg ice rink. Then I went online and scouted out the price of such a dream at a place called Ice Palace, the rink where my beloved SKA plays. What I found inspired this mini-post.

Considering this is the home rink of the St. Petersburg hockey team, I knew skating there would be a little pricy. I did not expect that they would charge me $12. An hour. And that doesn't include the $4 skate rental fee since, alas, I left my pair in Nashville. I don't know about you, but skating for only an hour on public ice time is lame sauce. (In case you don't know, I was a figure skater when I was little, and skating for me is one of my first loves. In my opinion, the true Olympic Games are the winter ones. My current dream is to go to Sochi in 2014...to watch.) Normally when I skate in the U.S., I'm there for at least 2 hours. So if I were to go to Ice Palace here in Piter, it would cost me about $28 to skate. A tad pricy...and somewhat hilarious, since I can almost figure skate on the way to the metro, in the mornings.

Want to know the really funny part, though? If you just want to go to the ice rink and not skate at all, you get to pay for it. Yes, there is a special ticket, costing 20 rubles (less than a dollar, but still) for simply existing in the ice rink and breathing the air. Lol

Oh, Russia. You are making me laugh, even to the end.

Until next time,
Katya


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your name, so I know who is stalking me! :-)